Dev(iant) D


I had to write this while I was in the middle of Dev D or I will never get it right. Thanks to my son… he wanted me to put something on PBSKids.com and I had to pause the movie.
So yeah I am watching it a little late (the blogs are all old and reviews stale) but I am sorry… I live here in Dallas and I get to watch some of these movies only when they come on DVD.
Ok… to beign with, you need to watch Dev D omly when you are down your second bottle of Napa Valley vintage or whatever else you find comfort in. And I am down on my 5th bottle of Shiner Centennial.
It is as edgy an Bollywood movie can get. You really need to be in that state of mind to get it.
Anurag Kashyup wrote in probably in that state. Thanks dude! I will remember him forever as my first ragging experience at Hansraj and the later at the plays of Jana Natya Manch. I can understand how he drew in from his DU experiences of the 90s. And then he uses shots from our college and our Zoology teacher Hardeep Kaur. It suddenly dawned on me, that sitting through her class is the reason behind my liking of the macabre sense of humor that Anurag shows.
This movie is the Kill Bill version of Devdas. A movie that flips every conventional logic, where the songs formed the storyline and dialogs were just incidental. Where a classic Sarat Chandra story was taken to a level where it appeals to all of us deviants. Served any other way and we would have never got it. A MMS tainted, French speaking
Chanda, a hallucinating, sex crazed Dev and Chunni as his pimp!
Now I am so desperate to watch
Gulaal.

0 comments: